About Zipp Firecrest 303 V3 Carbon Clincher - Black Rear
Do everything in style with the Zipp Firecrest 303 V3 Carbon Clincher. The choice of thousands of pros and amateurs worldwide.
If perfection is the standard, then the 303 Firecrest wheelset delivers everything you could ask for, including a heritage forged in the Spring Classics. At the center of the 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is the 77/177 hubset, an innovation that results in improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility.
Zipp’s original 303 Tubular made history by becoming the first carbon wheelset to win cycling’s two most famous Cobbled Classics - Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders.
Its wider rim provided extra durability, and improved aerodynamics. That wider rim also led to the development of our revolutionary Firecrest platform, and now the revolution continues with the inclusion of the 77/177 hubset – best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed.
Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, a XD driver body for 177 is sold separately and easily installed to allow for more cassette options including a 10-42. The hubset is designed to swap driver bodies without re-dishing wheel.
Zipp’s Carbon Clincher technology preserves the aerodynamic advantages of the 303 Firecrest’s tubular brother, while adding the convenience of a clincher tire. And at just 1,645g, it’s light enough to climb up the steepest gradients with ease as a go-to all-around wheelset.
The Firecrest shaping optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45 mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. At the same time, the 26.4 mm-wide brake track (at center) allows the clincher tire to take on a wider, more stable shape without compromising rolling resistance. It’s faster, simpler, and more stable.
The new wheels retain all the small details that make Zipp wheels what they are. Exposed spoke nipples sit in the aerodynamic shadow of the rims, keeping serviceability simple without compromising speed. And our signature ABLC™ rim dimples squeeze every last second of performance possible.
Available in two decal options, the stealthy Matte Black or the distinctive Matte White decals. Each 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, rim tape and quick release.
Important product note
The wide profile of the 303 Firecrest is crucial to Zipp’s revolutionary Firecrest technology used to create wheels with superior aerodynamics as well as improved stability and handling.
The rear 303 Firecrest, however, may present some fitment issues for a small number of road and triathlon frames. The clearance between the chainstay and the rim may not be adequate to avoid contact between each other when ridden under load.
We urge customers who plan on riding the 303 Firecrest to test the wheel within the frame in which they intend to ride, under normal riding and road conditions, before purchasing. Clearance within individual frames of the same size, from the same manufacturer, may vary. That is why it is imperative that you test the wheel in your frame, or in the frame that you are considering purchasing.
Customers who run into this fitment issue may select any other spoked wheel within the Zipp lineup as an alternative, including the 404 Firecrest with its narrower aero-width profile.
Below is a list of known frames that may present this issue. This list will be updated if this fitment issue is discovered elsewhere:
2012 Specialized Tarmac SL4
Specialized S-Works McLaren Venge
- Larger Swiss steel bearings with a custom cartridge increase durability by more evenly spreading load over the axle.
- New “virtual 3 cross” lacing on both sides of rear wheel for improved stiffness, achieving 3 cross stiffness in a two cross pattern with a new spoke geometry.
- All Firecrest road wheels all have 18 spoke fronts and 24 spoke rears for greater stiffness.
- Zipp fully die cut Classic White and Beyond Black rim decals are borderless, thinner and lighter.
- FIRECREST: With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in our 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- CARBON CLINCHER: Zipp's superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. Zipp worked with our composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control): Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of Zipp's carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control): Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- WIRE EDM: Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for the rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- STEEL BEARINGS: Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s “high precision” balls, and more than five times tighter than most “precision” balls.
New robust hub platform with distinctive graphicsZipp's new 177 hub has an optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim CX-Sprint spokes (CX-Ray for 202 Tubular) to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness without sacrificing weight or robustness. It boasts a new robust hub shape with distinctive graphics and 17mm axle.
- For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, an XD driver body for 177 is sold separately and easily installed to allow for more cassette options including a wide range 10-42t cassette. The hubset is designed to swap driver bodies without the need to re-dish the wheel.