About Zipp Firecrest 808 V3 Carbon Clincher - Front
The Zipp Firecrest 808 V3 Carbon Clincher provides supreme aerodynamics AND handles the wind or winding roads.
Optimizing wheels to perform with precision and control at the depth of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is pure engineering science. While the 808 Firecrest’s aerodynamics and stability are proven every weekend in road races, triathlons and time trials around the world, understanding how profoundly good these wheels are only comes from riding the wheel that, as a set, has proven faster than any other.
Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required Zipp to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 27.5mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,885 grams, it more than holds its own on the climbs.
With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher also handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style.
At the center of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is Zipp’s 77/177 hubset with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. The result is improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility:
Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim® CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
In addition to Firecrest, all Zipp full-Carbon Clinchers feature an exclusive heat-resistant resin as part of the composite structure. Utilized in the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher, this technology prevents spikes in rim temperature and tire pressure that can impact performance and handling. Zipp Carbon Clinchers have never had a heat-related failure. So every rider can tackle even the longest, most technical descents with confidence. For triathletes and road racers seeking superior aero performance, stable handling, and the convenience of clinchers, there’s no faster all-around wheelset than the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher.
Each 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, rim tape and quick release.
- Larger Swiss steel bearings with a custom cartridge increase durability by more evenly spreading load over the axle.
- New “virtual 3 cross” lacing on both sides of rear wheel for improved stiffness, achieving 3 cross stiffness in a two cross pattern with a new spoke geometry.
- All Firecrest road wheels all have 18 spoke fronts and 24 spoke rears for greater stiffness.
- Zipp fully die cut Classic White and Beyond Black rim decals are borderless, thinner and lighter.
- FIRECREST: With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in our 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- CARBON CLINCHER: Zipp's superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. Zipp worked with our composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control): Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of Zipp's carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control): Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- WIRE EDM: Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for the rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- STEEL BEARINGS: Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s “high precision” balls, and more than five times tighter than most “precision” balls.